10 Benefits of Breastfeeding You are Going to Love
Imagine a medicine that could decrease your baby’s risk of pneumonia, colds, ear infections, stomach infections and diarrhea! What if this same medicine could also decrease your baby’s chance of developing diabetes, obesity and some cancers? Imagine if this medicine was available for free!
Breastfeeding is that medicine. It provides all of these benefits for babies, but the benefits of breastfeeding don’t stop there! Here are an additional 10 cool things about breastfeeding you may not know.
1) Stronger bones for mom.
Breastfeeding helps your body absorb calcium more efficiently, meaning less chance of osteoporosis!
2) It burns calories while you sit on the couch.
It is like going to the gym without leaving your house. You burn a whopping 500 calories per day, equivalent to running on a treadmill for 45 minutes, cleaning the house for 2 hours or doing one hour of Zumba.
3) It’s environmentally friendly.
There is no pollution or garbage involved!
4) There is no risk of contamination.
There have, however, been cases of contamination in powdered infant formula. You can learn more about Cronobacter infection in formula here.
5) Once established, it is pretty simple.
When your baby is hungry, no prep is required! Your milk is the perfect temperature, always delivered fresh and ready to serve. Now that makes life easy when you are out of the house!
6) Fewer missed days when you return to work.
When a breastfeeding mom and baby are exposed to a germ in their environment, the mother’s body makes antibodies to that specific germ. Mom then passes that protective antibody to her baby through the breast milk. This means less illness for baby (and less time away from work for mom!)
7) It saves money.
You will save up to $3200 per year by not having to buy formula. Check out what you could buy instead. Fewer trips to the doctor and less hospital visits compound the savings.
8) You will get a leave of absence from your period.
Breastfeeding exclusively (giving no other food or liquid) around the clock delays the return of menstruation. For some, this means no periods for a full year. More money saved on feminine products and birth control!
9) Available in a variety of flavours.
The flavour of breast milk changes according to mom’s diet. Formula, on the other hand, tastes the same, day after day. The varying flavour of breast milk is thought to make the introduction of solids foods that much easier.
10) It ensures lots of snuggle time.
Breastfeeding is a great reason to stop, sit down and simply hold your baby. Gazing into those little eyes leads to a strong connection.
The decision about how you will feed your baby could be one of the most most important decisions you will make as a new parent. Want to discover some skills and techniques proven to make breastfeeding easier (and essential to meeting your breastfeeding goals)? Register for our FREE email series, Getting Ready to Breastfeed.
- Horta, Bernardo L., and Cesar G. Victora. Long-term Effects of Breastfeeding: A Systematic Review. Publication. N.p.: World Health Organization, 2013.
- “The Baby Friendly Initiative | Research | Breastfeeding Research – An Overview.” Unicef UK, n.d. Web.
Cindy and Jana are Registered Nurses and International Board Certified Lactation Consultants who have assisted over 20,000 families.
- Sign up for their free mini breastfeeding course: Getting Ready to Breastfeed.
- Download their app NuuNest – Newborn Nurse Answers and Baby Tracking.